[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4699: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4702: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Prospector - A roguelike in space www.prospector.at • View topic - Some suggestions!

Some suggestions!

Any ideas how to improve the game or the site.

Some suggestions!

Postby Sotha » Tue 17. Dec 2013, 15:35

First off,
PRAISE MAGELLAN
Thanks for your continued work on Prospector!

Well I had fun, just "ended" my last game which turns out ran over 56,000 turns in length. I did savescum though... :D

I had just 10 crew (crew limit) completely decked out with Very Powerful Disintegrators (a few well/balanced) and thick Adaptive Body Armor

Some thoughts:
Even with the best personal guns in the game I guess, most of the aliens I encountered took several full on shots by most team members before going down, and even with some of the best armor, my guys still drop like flies to everything. These guns fire pale light that turns things to dust, but it doesn't feel that way when the indigenous wildlife say "ouch" and keep coming.

I guess I suddenly saw Disintegrators everywhere because of the length of the game, but I do wish they were rarer. The other weapons are basically filler until you get the big D's and it would be pleasant if they had more punch to them so they stay more relevant. So when I blast a small alien child in the face with anything not a Disintegrator, I'm not sent running for my life.

Also, why such great loot everywhere? I don't find enough crappier stuff lying around so the game feels like it's rewarding you for surviving by making it easier on you. The only thing I was finding were Disintegrators, Adaptives, and "fake adaptives"... Squidsuits. I feel it's more immersive if the best stuff around wasn't popping up from the soil so often and instead regular weapons were more likely but still uncommon, especially if they are more lethal and not practically garbage. I notice in my earlier version of the game D's had a power of 1.2-ish? And now it's 3? Was this an effort to make the combat quicker? If so, I like that direction.

It would be nice if you could save without being sent to the title screen or shutting off the game. As well as stopping the game from auto-saving you in terrible spots. And when you restart a save it's odd when you realize you still have the map/biodata and resource from before you died for some reason. o.O
I know this is first and foremost a Roguelike. You play, you die, you start again. Fun! But when savescumming because you like keeping your men and doing more stuff with them for once, it would be nice to have the option to not be forced out of the game and going back in over and over. ;) As well as worry "when I come back, am I going to be insta-dead?"

A pretty cool feature I've always wanted to see more in games is a living breathing world. When you land on a planet and there's another prospector doing his thing, that's pretty damn cool. As far as I know you don't see anybody else in space, you just get notified who's around you. While being a bit more demanding on resources, seeing the others zipping around in space, doing their thing without you would be breathtaking. NPCs starting out with a motley crew of hopefuls to get rich, NPCs buying a new ship for transporting cargo because their algorithm decided it was worth it, NPC prospectors turned pirates chasing them down and the game tracking their adventures and eventual demise. All as you do your own thing, or help them do theirs, or be the reason they can't. I don't know if you can already, but blowing up an NPCs ship and leaving them to die on the planet sounds awesome. Him being rescued and coming for you with a vengeance sounds even more awesome. Basically, it's Space Rangers 2. Which I've never played, and probably should.

I love this game, I've got Morrowind, as well as a bunch of great full games just sitting on my PC that I'm never in the mood to touch, because when I need my fix, this and Rogue Survivor (sadly left to rot so far) are usually what I play. I've also spent quite some time messing with the tileset, changing the newer tiles I don't like back to old, giving the surface tiles a warm bloom to better contrast the cold space tiles of metal flooring and walls. and making TRAPS visible, if only slightly. Damn traps.

Thanks for taking the time to work on this game, I want this game to be so amazing, feature rich and polished I never want to leave it.

Also, I can't find ALL of the dialogue in the data folder (I fixed a lot of the grammar mistakes and punctuation inconsistencies), I also can't find where the stats for the regular weapons and armor are. I'd like to tweak them and such!

Thank you for your time.
Sotha
Redshirt

Re: Some suggestions!

Postby Spacehamster » Tue 17. Dec 2013, 17:05

Sry for my engrish - i'm just a hamster :)

Space hamsters are never wrong!

Oh no! Its Wooly Rupert, the Tyrannohamstersaurus of Ill Omen!
Spacehamster
Pilot

Postby Sotha » Tue 17. Dec 2013, 23:39

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah I know there are roomier ships, I did not know there was an alien artifact to amass a crew of that size!
I'm not doing doublebunking, I was like "what's that?" google'd it, hurts morale, so no can do. I'm not paying my crew more to make up for it ;)

I also know of the augments and most of the features you listed. I'm just very casual with my playthroughs, I guess.
:D
While I cleaned up what dialogue I could find (and fixed things, like when a Redcap alien accuses you of being a "Redcap-friend" (oops), I did take some liberties, like when a ship hails you for fuel and you start convo but want to decline, but not be like "Haha, you die" about it. Which is easy to add because the convo system is so simple.

As for unpackaging the files using the source to get at the weapons, eh. I don't know if I'm up for it. I'd imagine a lot of "WTF am I looking at?" will happen.

And yes, I understand it's a hardcore roguelike. And while I like the crazy everything trying to murder your delicious Prospector's face, I am eager for the trappings of Permadeath (closing you out after a save) to be optionally turned off.

I'm DEF aware of some savescumming bugs.

Whilst on the planet with the immortal centipedes, I went underground and spent time blasting snake aliens, racking up 100xp on everyone other than my Pilot, who I always leave in the ship. (The new XP system is fantastic, made no sense how the GUNNER who actively helps the hit chance of the Awayteam got no XP from shooting outside of ship combat) I saved the game because the deeper I went, the more paranoid I got. When I loaded the save the entire structure of the underground had changed. And there was no more oxygen, the aliens were still there, but quickly died with no air. With no exits pointing upward and no way to get to the ship, I died. But after starting again I was in space in ship (?). Scanning the planet showed That the Eden planet's surface had changed into the cave like floor. Very creepy. (ALSO:How far do you have to go to get their special immortality nanomachines thing I hear about?)

Also I learned that firing above traps destroyed them, because my slightly changed "trap tile" vanished and I got the message about the sensors. Thank god I don't have to jet pack jump them. :D
(Also, while at a Gas Giant station (where the traps were) I loved when my Science officer failed a door lock and it said I'll never be able to open the door ever again. FOOM Door meet Disintegrators.)

And SpaceHamster, some questions:
What's the reason for having Security Redshirts when there's snipers?
Snipers seem to start with much higher ranged hit AND melee hit (which makes no sense)
My guess is that Redshirts gain health when they rank up and snipers... don't? not sure.

Is it a bug or a feature how my oxygen plummets to 50 when one or two members wear Squidsuits?

If I find an artifact like the Portable Disintegrator, how can I use it? It's for the ship? OH, wait. It's referring to my guns isn't it? -smacks head-

What allows you much greater crew space? What alien thing? Were you talking a double bunked ship with 40 crew spots?

Thanks for your feedback! :D ;)
Sotha
Redshirt

Postby Spacehamster » Wed 18. Dec 2013, 12:45

Sry for my engrish - i'm just a hamster :)

Space hamsters are never wrong!

Oh no! Its Wooly Rupert, the Tyrannohamstersaurus of Ill Omen!
Spacehamster
Pilot

Return to Suggestions