[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4699: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4702: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Prospector - A roguelike in space www.prospector.at • View topic - Approaching Infinity - Prospector lite?

Approaching Infinity - Prospector lite?

Free for all, anything goes.

Re: Approaching Infinity - Prospector lite?

Postby IBOL17 » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 17:59

Hi, I'm Bob, creator of Approaching Infinity (A.I.) .
Before my game went public, I had a talk with Matthias (magellan).
You can read about how Prospector influenced Approaching Infinity here:
https://ibol17.wordpress.com/inspiration/

The reason that I am posting here is because i get daily traffic from this thread.
And also because there are some things from above posts that i'd like to address.

Post 1: Yes, A.I. is simplified in its interface and usage. That is intentional. But there are absolutely crew upgrades, from skills, equipments, devices, and artifacts. The same applies to ships.

Posts 8 & 9: I've been making games for free for 10 years. My guess is you have either no idea what it takes to make something of this complexity, or you have the luxury of free time and/or money to do whatever you want. Most games on kickstarter raise $20k+. $5000 would not even pay for 2 months of my family's expenses. You think i'm "young"? If you think $5k (or 8k) is a lot of money, like enough to develop a game full time, you're just being naive about it. Research the field. I have 2 kids, a wife, a job, and a mortgage. Approaching Infinity is my attempt to do something that I love.

Post 10: @DarthNihilus : diseases are cured at stations, for a price. They can also be cured by a science officer over time, or a medical device or artifact.

And to anyone using the term "Rip-off" : Have you played other roguelikes? Angband, brogue, nethack, DCSS ? Do you notice the similarities? Every one of them has procedural levels, a bunch of monsters, swords and bows, potions, scrolls. And in their ascii versions, they can be hard to tell apart. Then look at science fiction tropes. There are elements that cross over in the vast majority of cases. A.I. is my interpretation of science fiction rendered in a roguelike world.

In closing, Approaching Infinity has come a very long way in its 1 year of development. It was inspired by Prospector. And A Whole Lot Of Other Things Too. I see that Prospector has also come a long way in this past year too ;)
A.I. has a lot to offer. I suggest you check it out when a new public version becomes available.
IBOL17
Redshirt

Postby Happy Corner » Mon 3. Nov 2014, 02:39

Happy Corner
Tribble owner
Tribble owner

Postby boatrigm » Tue 2. Dec 2014, 02:02

I've been playing the demo and it's a very polished fun game. But the price is just crazy. For $15 it would be an instance buy but at the current price I will just have to move on to other roguelike games. Too bad the price point is so high. I know a lot of work went into it and a lot more is to come but still.......

Wish you the best Bob.

-Mike
boatrigm
Redshirt

Postby DarthNihilus » Sat 7. Mar 2015, 12:33

DarthNihilus
Redshirt

Postby luke » Thu 6. Aug 2020, 08:31

I'm thrilled that this has just been released on steam, and at a reasonable price.

Picked it up on release day, and it has been a lot of fun. As expected, lots in common with Prospector.

I think "Prospector Lite" is a very fair description, AI is a ton easier to play and a more forgiving interface. It is still a complex roguelike and difficult by the standards of most traditional games, but a lot easier to use and more streamlined than Prospector.

I think both games are great!

Playing AI has made me want to startup a new game of Prospector, as there are lots of things that you can do in Prospector that are not options in AI.. but AI is so much faster and smoother its hard to put down.

Wish there were even more games like this!
luke
Redshirt

Postby Mx_Turner » Wed 23. Sep 2020, 00:23

I tried it, it's a shitty clone of prospector. Got a refund.
Mx_Turner
Redshirt

Postby Sebastian2203 » Sun 4. Oct 2020, 17:51

AI looks interesting, I will give it a try, thanks for letting me know.
Sebastian2203
Redshirt

Previous

Return to Other games and stuff