[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4699: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4702: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Prospector - A roguelike in space www.prospector.at • View topic - Introduction, Suggestions, and Praises!

Introduction, Suggestions, and Praises!

General discussion about Prospector

Introduction, Suggestions, and Praises!

Postby WellingtonTheThird » Tue 17. Sep 2013, 16:34

Hello, all.

Glad to meet all of you. I've recently taken to play Prospector and I must say that I am amazed.

My personal history with the rogue-like genre is quite extensive. I've enjoyed many a gem in this amazing genre such as Caves of Qud, ADOM, DCSS, Cataclysm: DDA, URW, and many others. Despite my limited experience with this game so far I can tell already from my 7+ playthroughs that Prospector deserves to be in that list of gems.

I was immediately taken with the game and looked to scour forums for bits of advice and I see that they are quite fresh. As such perhaps we could get a Suggestions sub-forum as well as an Introductions sub-forum. It would really help with expansion if people feel they have a clear idea of where to start first.

Anywho!

I look forward to watching these forums grow and seeing the face of the community emerge.

Cheers!
WellingtonTheThird
Redshirt

Re: Introduction, Suggestions, and Praises!

Postby Happy Corner » Tue 17. Sep 2013, 17:33

My own experience is quite extensive, too. I've won a normal victory in ADOM exactly once, I've got several 15 rune runs in DCSS (though I can't yet streak like some of the real freak players can), I really wish CoQ's developers had finished it, and - well, you don't really win Cataclysm DDA, but I really like that one, too.

Other games that may interest you include (the Zap'Em variant) and (less complex than Cataclysm, but it still has its charms). I enjoyed both of those, as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so highly of Prospector. I've written before that this game may well join the ranks of the major roguelikes someday if Magellan keeps working on it. I still think so.
Happy Corner
Tribble owner
Tribble owner

Postby phpbbadmin » Tue 17. Sep 2013, 20:36

Welcome Wellingtonthethird, 3rd User on this spanking new board!
I was considering a introduction section earlier, and added the 2 as subforums.
Also the wiki is now more prospector-colory, and has spoiler tags. (You can see them in action here: http://www.prospector.at/wiki/doku.php? ... ets_spoily)
The syntax is ++Text to be clicked on|Text shown afterwards++ for a simple text or ++++ if you have formating.
Although always when I play around with the site (It's shiny and new!) I get a bad concience thinking i should rather be debugging prospector...
phpbbadmin
Administrator

Postby WellingtonTheThird » Wed 18. Sep 2013, 00:25

Nothing wrong with touching base and keeping up communication with the fan-base! If I may ask what exactly are some of your ambitions with Prospector? What is your motivation behind it?
WellingtonTheThird
Redshirt

Postby magellan » Thu 19. Sep 2013, 22:55

magellan
Pilot

Postby Masterski » Thu 19. Sep 2013, 23:14

Nice little details. :) Can you shed some light on what was happening during 2012? Your activity on forums went to zero.
Masterski
Redshirt

Postby magellan » Fri 20. Sep 2013, 18:07

A wierd mixture of a hiatus and halfheartedly halfimplementing stuff, and considering abandoning it and moving on.
magellan
Pilot

Postby WellingtonTheThird » Sat 21. Sep 2013, 01:05

Awesome! I'm playing through a campaign of Traveler recently, myself. Well, kudos man. Keep at it!
WellingtonTheThird
Redshirt

Postby XxXAlphamaleXxX » Tue 1. Oct 2013, 08:48

I share your feelings towards the game, i came onto it just after the 2.4 release and had spent probably 300-400 hours on urw, really loved the genre, and the most common game type i have on my computer is space age, so finding prospector was probably the coolest thing i found, but unfortunately 2.4 had so many bugs that it was nearly unplayable, i remember there was one play through i had gotten pretty much unbeatable and then i decided to buy some new sensor that i never spent the time to test, well long story short it made my game crash within 3-4 moves, i had spent the past few weeks of free time playing that character so the thought that i didn't get to stupidly terminate myself some how outraged me, Now I'm glad, beyond glad to see them kicking back into action, i don't think people gave this game as much attention as it truly deserved and that's why when i saw it kick back up i joined the forum instantly so as to show my appreciation for their amazing game.
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."
~Albert Einstein
XxXAlphamaleXxX
Redshirt

Postby thanatopsis_6 » Fri 11. Oct 2013, 23:58

Had to sign up! This is one of my top 5 favorite rogues of all time, and if praise and high-fives power development, I shall supply metric tons of both! *high-fives* *praise-praise*

But seriously, keep up the good work and I can pretty much guarantee that in a couple months the activity on these forums will quintuple, at minimum!

.. Is there a post about this revived activity on bay12forums? Considered employing github and asking for community help? (You'd get some, I believe)..

Anyway, happy travels! I'll be downloading every new build til there are no more :>
thanatopsis_6
Redshirt

Next

Return to General discussion