[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4699: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4701: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4702: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Prospector - A roguelike in space www.prospector.at • View topic - Approaching Infinity - Prospector lite?

Approaching Infinity - Prospector lite?

Free for all, anything goes.

Approaching Infinity - Prospector lite?

Postby Happy Corner » Mon 23. Sep 2013, 17:59

It seems we have another entry in the "explore space, loot planets, don't run out of air" genre of roguelikes - .

I messed around with it for a while, and it plays a lot like a simplified version of Prospector.

Too simplified, to be brutally honest. Your crew don't seem to be separate entities (just a pool of HP depending on how many people), there doesn't seem to be any crew equipment or augs (only ship upgrades), there's no star systems (only single planets hanging out in space), and there don't seem to be any unique/special planets (or maybe I just didn't go far enough to find them). The apparent lack of crew upgrades is a killer, as the air depletion is harsher than in your game. The combat, on the other hand, is a lot easier - space or planets, I didn't feel threatened by anything I encountered before I stopped playing.

On the upside, the graphics have a nice cute aesthetic, and the UI is relatively good. Also, the quests are a little easier to manage than in Prospector. And this seems to be a new project, so maybe some of the things I mentioned will get better in time.
Happy Corner
Tribble owner
Tribble owner

Re: Approaching Infinity - Prospector lite?

Postby XxXAlphamaleXxX » Tue 1. Oct 2013, 13:35

I also saw this and agree, Not trying to be rude but it was not as well thought through as prospector, I was actually very happy to see it a few days ago because i had this longing for more from prospector, then BAM prospector 3.0
So I'm back to prospector hopefully going to have more fun with it.
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."
~Albert Einstein
XxXAlphamaleXxX
Redshirt

Postby d12 » Tue 1. Oct 2013, 14:24

Exactly same happend to me XxXAlphamaleXxX.
I was the one that told Happy about Approaching Infinity. I thought it was a fun game, there were some down sides but it is really early development so it is really exciting how much bang it got. Lots of mechanics and design are clearly directly borrowed from Prospector.

Happy: There are quite a few challenges, but in the beggining I grinded for some 10 sectors. When you get farther out there are quests to exterminate critters on some planets, and those are tough. I had to travel several times back and forth to the spaceport to recrew after most died. And I had to get better equipment to be abble to kill the critters.
There is also a pirate fleet encounter event that is pretty devastating.
I had a very advanced weapon and more than half-million, but died in sector 27 or so because 2 ships attacked me and drained my shields in 5 turns or so.
d12
Redshirt

Postby XxXAlphamaleXxX » Tue 1. Oct 2013, 15:53

~Albert Einstein
XxXAlphamaleXxX
Redshirt

Postby Happy Corner » Tue 19. Nov 2013, 17:46

Looks like Approaching Infinity is on now. In the comments, he finally acknowledges the similarity to Prospector.
Happy Corner
Tribble owner
Tribble owner

Postby gabeux » Tue 19. Nov 2013, 21:13

Yeah, because people noticed he didn't mention it at all, so he commented it.
Weird. And no mention on the game's description..

Maybe once it's full developed I'll have a look.
gabeux
Redshirt

Postby magellan » Wed 20. Nov 2013, 10:19

He did send me a very nice email, and I can't say I didn't steal stuff either.
magellan
Pilot

Postby Sotha » Sun 29. Dec 2013, 02:15

Yeeaahh...
It's a prettier Prospector ripoff.
Idk, watching some gameplay and seeing basically "Give me more money and I'll put in a simple feature (Officers) that free game I'm going to pretend doesn't exist (Prospector) already has." made my blood boil. I'm a pretty cynical negative person, so immediately I get the impression he didn't at all mention the game he took 90% inspiration from because he... idk doesn't want prospective (lol) kickstarters who've never heard of Prospector go "What's that?" and flock to a more feature rich (however bug ridden) game. :|
It is young, and if I never played Prospector I would have liked it, but seeing all the work Magellan does for nothing while this punk is like "If you want x pay me"... Blarg I'm just bitching now.

Maybe it'll become a more intuitive and comfortable, not to mention fun game, while piling on more complex gameplay? Time will tell.
Sotha
Redshirt

Postby XxXAlphamaleXxX » Thu 3. Apr 2014, 14:27

~Albert Einstein
XxXAlphamaleXxX
Redshirt

Postby DarthNihilus » Fri 18. Jul 2014, 10:49

how about explaining how to get rid of a disease? if my team catches a disease in the AI game it's there forever. and ths bug was also in the prev version. also, the game is very-very casualistic. too simple.
DarthNihilus
Redshirt

Next

Return to Other games and stuff